Fully booked! This course will run again on Thursday 12 and Friday 13 April 2018
Fully Booked Map to Venue
Dr David Elias, Consultant Radiologist, King’s College Hospital, London
About the course
- Knowledge and practical skills will be gained by a mixture of pre-course on-line lectures, demos, skills stations, and iMac workstations for pathology recognition.
- Pre-course online access to lectures (video and slides), covering anatomy and pathologies on shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand, hip, knee, and ankle and foot.
- The online lectures are required viewing before the course
- Short review lectures and live demo sessions on the day
- Hands-on ultrasound learning and practice at Skills Stations under the supervision of experts in MSK imaging
- Cases, including pathology recognition at iMac workstations.
- No knowledge of ultrasound knobology or techniques is assumed
This course provides 12 CPD credits in accordance with the CPD Scheme of the Royal College of Radiologists, plus up to 3 CPD credits online learning.
The course builds on the London MSK Ultrasound Skills Course that has been running with great success since 2010. The 2017 programme is revised with a view to:
- allowing participants to view lectures online (video and slides) at their leisure before the course (and for revision after the course); and
- allowing much more time for ‘hands-on’ learning and practice on the course days proper
NB The online lectures are required viewing before the course
The online lectures
- Introduction to MSK US: Dr David Elias (22 mins).
- Shoulder Ultrasound: Dr Syed Babar (42 mins).
- Elbow US: Dr Chandani Thorning (33 minutes).
- Hand & Wrist US: Dr Lisa Meacock (30 mins).
- Ultrasound and Synovitis: Dr David Elias (23 mins).
- Hip Ultrasound: Dr Leonard King (28 mins).
- Knee Ultrasound: Dr Leonard King (23 mins).
- Foot and Ankle Ultrasound: to be confirmed
The online lectures are required viewing before the course:
- After booking, the participant will receive a link, username and password, allowing online access for up to six months after the course.
- After viewing, the participant can save and/or print an Online Learning Certificate (3 hours).
- On the course days proper, participants will have opportunities to ask questions during the Review sessions before each practical session.
The course is designed for clinicians new to MSK US, including:
- Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Sports Medicine Physicians
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
The Course is essentially an introduction to US imaging and techniques for assessing MSK injuries – a first step towards further MSK US training. The participants:
- Acquire a basic understanding of the physics, technology, instrumentation and techniques in MSK US
- Learn to recognise normal MSK anatomy under US
- Learn to identify sonographic image appearance commonly associated with key MSK pathologies
- Observe and practise ultrasound examination of each joint in different planes, covering shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand, hip, knee, and ankle and foot